Right of Privacy, Release of Confidential Records
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) grants students certain rights, privileges, and protections relative to individually identifiable student educational records that are maintained by Montana Western.
- Students’ educational records (with the exception of directory information) will be released to third parties only with the written consent of the student.
- Students have the right to inspect and review their own individually identifiable education records. This right may be exercised by contacting the Registrar.
- Students have the right to challenge information contained in individually identifiable educational records. Contact the Registrar for information.
- A copy of the policy statement describing Montana Western’s regulations for this Act is contained in the University Catalog.
FERPA permits the release of directory-type information to third parties without written consent of the student provided the student has been given the opportunity to withhold such disclosure. Montana Western releases, upon inquiry from third parties and for UMW’s News & Publications Office purposes, directory information without written consent of students.
Definition of Directory Information
The University of Montana Western designates the following information as “directory information” in the school catalog:
- Student name
- Student addresses
- Telephone numbers
- Email addresses
- Name and address of parents
- Honors and awards
- Photographs of students and teams
- Age, date and place of birth, gender
- Major Student classification (fresh., soph., etc)
- Activities and sports participation
- Class schedules, dates of attendance, graduation, degrees received
- Height, weight, name of high school attended, year of graduation of members of athletic teams
- Most recent education institution attended
You have the right to refuse permission for the release of any of this information, now and in the future. Students may withhold directory information by checking the appropriate box on the college’s registration form for that particular semester/term, or by contacting the Registrar’s Office, James Short Admin. Building Room 105, (406) 683-7371. For more information regarding your right of privacy, please see the Student Handbook.
The safety and well-being of students is our number one concern and priority at Montana Western.
The Campus Security Act (or Clery Act) is federal legislation which requires colleges and universities to annually report their efforts on providing a safe environment for students.
For more information about Montana Western’s efforts to ensure the safety of our students, download the Annual Security and Fire Safety report.
File a Complaint
To file a Title IX report contact:
Title IX Coordinators:
Nicole Hazelbaker – 406-683-7900
Liane Forrester – 406-683-7311
For confidential reporting:
Campus Counseling Office – 406-683-7388
Our first priority is your safety. Get to a safe place and talk with someone who can help you as soon as possible.
Montana Western’s Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Stalking and Retaliation policy can be found here:
The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) outlines information that institutions participating in federal financial aid programs should make available to current and prospective students. We’ve collected this information here to help you make an informed decision about achieving your educational goals.
For questions about consumer disclosures, please contact:
- Charity Walters: 406-683-7471
Higher Education Act Disclosures
General Institutional Information
Privacy of Student Records – Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities
Cost of Attendance
Net Price Calculator
Refund Policy and Requirements for Withdrawal and Return of Federal Financial Aid (p. 71)
Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreements
Accreditation, Approval, and Licensure of Institutional and Programs
Copyright Infringement – Policies and Sanctions
Computer Use and File Sharing
Career and Job Placement Services