Department: Conference Services
Position: Full-time, 12-month position with varying schedule
Wage: $12.750 – $15.938 per hour plus complete benefit package
Union Affiliation: MPEA
Posting Date: July 2018
Start Date: September 2018
The Conference and Event Services Department invites applications for an Event and Banquet assistant. The position is responsible for set up and supervision of events held on campus by on and off campus groups, including summer groups and camps. The position assists in the coordination with Food Service, Residence Halls and other campus departments to meet the needs of the event. The position reports to the Director of Conference and Event Services.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and build and maintain professional relations with all UMW and campus venue/service staff and a wide variety of clients.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills including creative problem solving and maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor when working with all clients.
- Ability to communicate with, coordinate and direct student staff.
- Ability to communicate, apply and enforce all event related aspects of the State of MT and UMW policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills including multi-tasking, accurate record keeping, attention to detail and follow-through.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the English language, computer skills, office practices and office equipment.
- Knowledge of and the ability to communicate client’s audio and visual technical needs as well as troubleshooting technical equipment.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and with a workgroup that is transitory in nature (student turnover is frequent).
- Able to work in a busy office with noise and frequent interruptions and distractions.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds with or without assistance, move tables and chairs and assist in room setup and teardown, which requires mobility and physical demands.
- Ability to keep banquet kitchen and storage rooms clean and organized.
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as required. Work hours vary according to need. The majority of the events are food service related, luncheon, banquets, etc., and are on nights and weekends.
- The normal work schedule will be Tuesday-Saturday. Work schedule varies depending on the scheduled events.
- Ability to obtain Serve Safe Certificate and RASS Alcohol Serving Certificate. Both can be obtained on the job.
- A current driver’s license is required.
- High school diploma (or equivalency) in addition to two (2) years of related professional experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully handle the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Experience as an event coordinator in the conference and events industry, preferably in a higher education setting, but a hotel or resort setting is acceptable.
- Bachelors or Associates degree in business, or hospitality management.
To apply, please complete a State of Montana Job Application and a letter of application specifically addressing the qualifications and duties described above. Finalists for this position may be subject to a criminal background investigation. Also include the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) professional references. Submit application materials to:
Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
Administration and Finance
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Kathy Simkins via email @ email@example.com or by calling 406-683-7566.
Review of applications will begin immediately, however the position will remain open until filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 60 full-time faculty and 1,500 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.