Department: Student Success
Position: Full-time, 12 month position with complete benefit package
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Posting Date: November 2020
The Academic Advisor II is responsible for:
- One-on-one and small group academic advising to students;
- Assisting with the referral of students to faculty advisors;
- Assisting students with the resolution of academic-related issues and questions;
- Making advisor/advisee assignments on an ongoing basis;
- Developing and maintaining accurate program advising forms;
- Completing student transcript evaluations;
- Assisting with institutional transfer articulation;
- Interpreting academic rules and regulations;
- Corresponding with students regarding various academic issues;
- Referring students to other campus resources;
- Serving as a liaison with faculty on advising related issues;
- Assisting with building schedules of classes;
- Working as part of the larger UMW Student Success team to implement best practices for retaining students;
- Ongoing maintenance of the advising website and development of new tools to assist students;
- Assist in implementation and maintenance of degree works auditing program.
The successful candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in a higher education setting;
- Experience providing academic advising to students regarding class choices and programs of study;
- Working knowledge of university academic policies and procedures;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and customer service and leadership skills;
- Proficiency with various software, including but not limited to MS office, Excel, Access, and integrated software systems;
- Public relations, interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to work with a diverse group of individuals;
- Strong organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills as well as the ability to meet deadlines in a busy environment with attention to detail;
- Experience working under pressure, handling conflicts, making decisions and problem solving;
- Demonstrated ability to work with others;
- Demonstrated ability to assist with short-range and long-term planning;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality and work on projects independently.
It is preferred that candidates have experience with a block scheduling format, possess a master’s degree in a related field and possess experience with Banner or other database-driven software.
Applications must include a cover letter addressing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, a resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. Submit application materials to:
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic St.
Dillon, MT. 59725-3598
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about this position may be directed to Ilene Cohen at Ilene.email@example.com or call (406) 683-7311.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.