Date Adopted: 11/19/1991
Date Revised: 06/30/09
References: UMW Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Plan, State & Federal Regulations
Issuing Office: Administration and Finance
Approved By: Susan Briggs
The University of Montana Western rigorously pursues affirmative action to provide to all people the equal opportunity for education, employment, and participation in University activities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, sex, age, marital or family status, disability, or sexual orientation and seeks to employ and advance in employment qualified veterans, disabled veterans, and under-represented minorities. Responsibility for effecting equal opportunity accrues to all University administrators, faculty, and staff. This responsibility includes assurance that employment and admission decisions, personnel actions, and administration of benefits to students and employees rests exclusively upon criteria that adhere to the principle of Equal Opportunity. The University will protect against retaliation any individual who participates in any way in any proceeding concerning alleged violations of laws, orders, or regulations requiring equal education and/or employment opportunity.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a working environment for all employees and an educational environment for all students that support and reward career and academic goals on the basis of ability and work or academic performance.
UMW has a Discrimination Grievance Procedure for any faculty member, student, non-academic employee, or applicant for employment or admission who alleges unlawful discrimination because of any University regulation, policy, practice, or official action of any University employee. Persons alleging discrimination at UMW should contact the EEO/Affirmative Action Officer, Business Services, 683-7101, within 60 days of the alleged discrimination.
- Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1871
- Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d)
- Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988
- Civil Rights Act of 1991
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.)
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act of 1994
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1975, as amended (29 U.S.C. 621)
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1972 (29 U.S.C. 794)
- Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974
- Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act
- Montana Human Rights Act
- Executive Orders 11246 as amended by Executive Order 11375 and 12086 and implemented by Revised Order 4
- Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education, Policy and Procedures Manual, Sections 703 and 1902
- Fair Housing Act 942 VSC 360 1 et.seq.
Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, EEO/Affirmative Action Officer, Chancellor, Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Student Affairs, Dean of Students