600.3 Use of Campus Facilities
Date Adopted: 04/22/2003
Date Revised: 03/02/2010
References: UMW Policy 100.5, 600.2; BOR Policy 503.1
Issuing Office: Administration and Finance
Approved By: Susan Briggs
Use and costs for use of campus facilities by any campus or off-campus group or organization is governed by this policy in conjunction with University of Montana Western (UMW) Policy 600.2 Space Allocation Policy.
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for reservation and use of campus facilities and fees to be charged, as well as to designate the department in charge of various campus facilities.
Priority of Use
Regularly Scheduled University Programs & Activities
Any programs, activities, or events that have been recurring or regularly scheduled by those administrators responsible for scheduling of the particular property or facilities required and that are reasonably related to the educational mission of the University.
Any activity or event sponsored by any ASUMW-recognized student organization providing it is consistent with the stated objectives of the organization or the educational mission of the University. Proceeds from the activity/event are to be used to defray the expenses of the activity or event, to generate a reserve to meet the organization’s stated objective, or to contribute to the educational mission of the University.
Faculty or Staff Organizations
Any activity or event sponsored by the faculty or staff that is appropriately scheduled and is consistent with the stated objectives of the organization or the educational mission of the University. Proceeds from the activity/event are to be used to defray the expenses of the activity or event, to generate a reserve to meet the organization’s stated objective, or to contribute to the educational mission of the University.
Any activities or events sponsored by organizations affiliated with the University by approval of the Chancellor, such as the UMW Foundation, UMW Alumni Association, Montana Youth Challenge Academy, etc.
Private Individual or Organization
Any appropriately scheduled activity or event sponsored by private individuals or organizations when it is established that the activity or event is a community service contributing to the cultural, social, educational, or economic development of the community or of the State.
Scheduling Use of Facilities
Offices Responsible for Scheduling
Registrar’s Office: Scheduling of University academic space for regularly scheduled classes is coordinated by the Registrar’s Office. If an alternate classroom is needed, it is the responsibility of the faculty member to present this request to the Provost’s Office four weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. The Registrar’s Office should receive the request at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. The Registrar staff and Library Clerk coordinate scheduling of the STC classrooms and labs.
Lucy Carson Library/Swysgood Technology Center: Scheduling for use of the Library Lower Commons, Library Conference Room, Montana Room, and the STC Board Room, classrooms, and labs is coordinated by the Library Clerk. Requests for use of these rooms can be made at: http://www.umwestern.edu/Acade mics/library/forms/rooms.htm.
Space Allocation Committee: The Space Allocation Committee, in conjunction with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, has the general responsibility for assignment of all permanent office space. Any request for office space should be presented directly to the Space Allocation Committee.
Athletic Department: Scheduling of University intercollegiate sports events, intramurals, and UMW youth sports are coordinated by the Athletic Department, as well as scheduling of the athletic fields and PE Complex facilities.
Birch Creek Office: Scheduling of the Birch Creek Outdoor Education Center is coordinated by the Birch Creek Office.
Conference & Events Services: Scheduling for the STC Great Room, and for all other activities/events/meetings for on- and off-campus users is coordinated by the Conference & Events Services Office.
Limitations on Scheduling
The University of Montana Western reserves the right to deny scheduling, reschedule an event, or cancel any reservation without notice. UMW will make every attempt to provide as much notice as possible. No person or organization may regard approval of a requested schedule as a guarantee of availability of the scheduled facility for the purpose requested. These rights are reserved to protect the University against the emergencies or exigencies not known at the time of the scheduling or against violation of regulations, abuse of facilities, or breach of agreements by the users of University property or facilities.
Priority Among Requests
Priority among requests for use of the same facility at the same time shall be determined by application of the following criteria:
- Academic use shall take precedence over any other purpose in academic facilities.
- Student and recreational use shall take precedence over any other non-University use in the PE Complex, recreation fields, and other facilities generally scheduled for recreational purposes.
- Except for an unanticipated academic or emergency need, regularly scheduled intercollegiate practices and events shall take precedence over any other use of the Straugh Gymnasium, Vigilante Field, and practice field.
- Academic use of auxiliary enterprise facilities will not be scheduled unless necessary.
- In the absence of one of the above priority considerations, priority shall be given on a first come, first served basis as received by the Conference & Events Services Office.
Rents and Charges
- Any user of University property or facilities may be charged rent as well as any costs incident to the use of the facilities except for academic programs regularly conducted in academic facilities or other regular ongoing functions of the University in facilities provided for that purpose.
- Rents and charges shall be uniformly assessed in the amount specified in the current schedule of rents and charges. The schedule of rents and charges shall be reviewed and updated bi-annually. The rate schedule is available upon request from the Conference & Events Services Office.
- Charges in addition to or in the absence of rent shall be sufficient to offset the cost to the institution of the activity or event and shall include any special arrangements requested by the user.
- Payment may be assessed for any damages to the facility or property that exceeds normal wear and for any unanticipated costs incurred by the University incident to the use of the facility or property.
- Current facilities use rates are available from the Conference & Events Services Office.
Policies Governing Use
Sale of Food or Beverages
Events requiring food or beverage service will be scheduled in those facilities specially equipped to provide such services except by special permission from the Conference & Events Services Office.
In compliance with State Health Department policy and the University’s food inspection license, organizations or individuals using University facilities may not sell or serve food or beverages that are provided by commercial or domestic sources other than the University Dining Service without prior approval.
Only if the needs or wants of the organization or individual cannot be reasonably provided by the University Dining Service resources will special consideration be given to such requests.
Any such service must meet all applicable, local, state, and federal codes that pertain to the service of food and beverages for public consumption.
The use or possession of intoxicating liquor, including beer, is prohibited in the buildings and on the grounds and athletic fields of the University of Montana Western, except in limited approved circumstances (UMW Policy 100.5).
The Chancellor may approve the use of alcohol at certain special events. Event organizers must obtain an Alcohol Registration Form from the Conference & Events Services for the use of alcohol at an event.
- Facility users and activity/event participants must abide by all UMW policies, Board of Regents policies, and local, state, and federal laws. Campus guidelines and forms are available from the Conference & Events Services Office.
All property of The University of Montana Western including all of the buildings and improvements thereof is the property of the State of Montana and is under the jurisdiction and control of the Board of Regents of Higher Education of the Montana University System. All UMW property is managed for the specific purpose of fulfilling the educational mission of the University of Montana Western as a State-supported institution of higher education. Accordingly, the use of UMW property and facilities is subject to all applicable state and federal laws, Board of Regents policies, and UMW policies.
Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, Conference & Events Services Office, Registrar’s Office, Library, Birch Creek Center Office, Athletic Department Office, UMW Foundation, Space Allocation Committee