Department: University Communications
Wage: $13.69 – $14.69 per hour plus complete benefit package
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Posting Date: January 2020
The Media/Info Coordinator (MC) will engage in the marketing and promotion of the University of Montana Western’s mission by writing, selecting, producing, and delivering positive publicity and promotional educational materials in AP style through various methods of communication media including press releases and student, faculty, staff and alumni success stories on the UMW website and social media channels.
The MC will also be responsible for attending, photographing, and providing written coverage of UMW related and community events in a timely manner for promotion and documentation purposes and will assist in the coverage, documentation and writing about these events.
The Media/Info Coordinator will report to the Graphic Designer II for providing necessary written elements for assigned projects and will work with student employees on an as needed basis as determined by the Graphic Designer II and Director of Communications.
The position, reporting to the Director of Communications, also requires the MC to:
- Assist in maintaining the university’s brand
- Work with the Director of Communications to create, implement, maintain and monitor campaigns
- Coordinate with Director of Communications to respond to requests for information from the media
- Provide copywriting, proofing and editorial services to support PR and marketing efforts
- Lead the content development process for ensuring the currency of the university website’s content
- This position will require working on some evenings and weekends
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to troubleshoot software issues
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, meets deadlines and stays on specific schedules
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, and media relations skills
- Working knowledge of public relations and/or journalism
- Experience with writing web content and social media posts
- Proficiency in working effectively as a team member
- Proficiency in writing communications to faculty, staff and students to promote events and share news
- Demonstrated proficiency in taking high quality photos and videos on cameras and phones for archival, promotional and social media purposes to support news and marketing efforts
- Proficiency in proofing print, online, and marketing materials
- Experience in helping clients communicate effectively with the public
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure, interruptions and frequently heavy workload
- Ability to think clearly and communicate with media representatives
- Organizational skills to prioritize work and complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner
- Effective communication skills, verbal and written, with the ability to relay information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to effectively and tactfully interact with diverse groups of people and co-workers
- Experience in writing website copy, award bios, social media posts, and press releases and preparing information for the media
- Experience in creating engaging social media content
- Proficiency in distributing press releases and media notifications
- Ability to operate Mac OS and Windows computer platforms and operating systems
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High levels of attention to detail, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to meet complicated production timelines and submission deadlines, adjust quickly as situations demand, and assure project and press release completion in an atmosphere of change and shifting priorities
- Ability to manage and grow media contact and distribution contact lists, which includes contacts at newspapers, magazines, and TV/radio stations
- Ability to work with Communications Director and Graphic Designer II and team members to ensure advertising campaigns are compatible with the UMW image and the Experience One program
- Comfortable with managing website content and copy using a content management system, especially WordPress
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, business, web/media, English or a related area required. PR and/or journalistic experience preferred.
- The MC may be required to move cases of print materials from the mail room or print shop to campus offices as needed.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- Letter of Application stating reasons for interest in the position, addressing the qualifications listed above
- Your current CV
- At least ten samples of your work including written articles in AP style, photography/videography, and links to professional social media posts
- Completed State of Montana Government Job Application
- Name, address and telephone number of three references to:
Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
Administration and Finance
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725-3598
For additional information, call (406) 683-7010. Review of applications will begin in immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.