Your college experience is already off to a great start because you’ve chosen Montana Western to begin your educational career. We’ve put together an orientation program to help make the transition as seamless as possible.
Orientation is mandatory for all first year and transfer students and because it’s fun and informative — you want to attend. Orientation events include: Convocation (the official start of the school year ceremony), an inspirational talk, a hike to the hillside “M” and much more.
If you are an athlete and will be coming to campus before the start of orientation, you are still required to attend orientation. Your coach is aware of orientation and expects you to attend so you can be successful in and out of the classroom.
Orientation Schedule 2019
Experience You. Experience Us. Experience One.
Thursday, Aug. 22
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Check in at the orientation and residence hall tables in front of Davis Hall, and then we’ll help you move into your residence hall!
Finalize campus business and explore Dillon
- go on a campus tour
- get to know the area
- set up your bank account
- explore local restaurants and coffee shops
- go shopping at the campus Bookstore or at any of our local businesses
*The STC Computer Labs will be open for students to complete any remaining tasks in preparation for the start of the academic year.
Dinner on your own (a list of restaurants will be provided at check in)
- Meet orientation leaders (Keltz Arena)
- Orientation Group Challenge #1
- Root Beer Float Social on the Tundra (presented by Chi Alpha and KDWG)
Friday, Aug. 23
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Continental breakfast for students and parents in the Dining Hall
8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Native American Student Session at the Multicultural Center (Invitations will be in Orientation check-in packets)
- Convocation and Keynote Address in the Keltz Arena
- Legacy Plaza Ceremony
- Orientation Group Challenge #2
- Lunch for ALL on the Mathews Lawn
- Experience One Activity on the Tundra
- Orientation Group Challenge #3
- Parent Alumni & Student panel for parents in the Lewis & Clark Room
- Orientation Group Activity on the Legacy Plaza
- Orientation Group Challenge #4
- Tailgate Dinner at Vigilante Field
- Football Scrimmage
- Orientation Group Challenge #5
- Dance in the Keltz Arena
- Orientation Group Challenge #6 (presented by KDWG)
Saturday, Aug. 24
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Breakfast in the Dining Hall
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Small Group Discussion in the Beier Auditorium
- Orientation Group Challenge #7
- Get on the bus to the “M” (load on Atlantic Street)
- Hike to the “M”
- Orientation Group Challenge #8
- Return to Campus
- Lunch with Orientation Group on the Mathews Lawn
- Movie at Big Sky Cinema
- Orientation Group Challenge #9
- Bulldog Feast in the Keltz Arena
- Bulldog Brain Teaser
- Orientation Group Challenge #10
Sunday, Aug. 25
8:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.
- Continental Breakfast in the Dining Hall (meal plan students only)
11:00 a.m. — 2:00 p.m.
Student Assistance Open Help Session
- Administrative Offices open in the Short Building
- “Assistance with your first block schedule” in the Student Union Building
- Dinner in the Dining Hall (meal plan and residence hall students only)
- All Residents Meeting in the Beier Auditorium
- Individual Residence Hall Floor Meetings
FALL 2019 KEYNOTE SPEAKER
WHY Matters NOW: How Purpose and Passion Inspire Meaningful Success
Justin Jones-Fosu is a dynamic speaker who motivates and inspires students, by getting them excited, energized and ready for the challenges ahead. Students will be impacted by his energy, enthusiasm and encouragement. He is very passionate about helping students do the right things and formulate action plans for their lives and campus communities.
As a result of attending this program, students will learn:
- how to grow in pursuing what matters in their collegiate and organizational lives,
- how to courageously combat the distracters of their “why” and “now,” and learn how to have intentional accountability to reach their goals,
- how to commit to small opportunities to take the initiative and ownership of their journey to be better students, leaders, and world-citizens, and
- the significance of their now moment to consistently learn, develop meaningful relationships and impact change on campus and within their organizations.
MOVE IN DAY
Community members, faculty, and staff:
Looking for ways to volunteer in the community? The Montana Western Moving Company (MWMC) has you covered. The MWMC is in its fourth year and was formed to help students and their families move into the residence halls on opening day.
All you need to do is sign up for a shift below and you will be invited to attend a brief orientation on Wednesday, Aug. 21 at 5:30 p.m. in the JDC Lobby, where you will be able to pick up your free t-shirt.
This fun event will allow community members, faculty, staff and alumni to meet new students and welcome them on behalf of the campus and community of Dillon!
There are several three-hour shifts available so please register by Wednesday, Aug. 21 at 3 p.m. Move-in takes place on Thursday, Aug. 22 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What: Montana Western Moving Company
When: Thursday, Aug. 22, 2019
Shifts: 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Where: Montana Western Residence Halls: JDC and Mathews