Department: Administration and Finance
Position: Full-time, 12 month position with complete benefit package
Salary: $60,000-$66,000 commensurate with experience
Union Affiliation: None
Posting Date: October 2019
The University seeks a committed and enthusiastic leader to inspire and direct the business/accounting operations at Montana Western. Working with the Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance, this position serves as the chief accounting officer and is responsible for establishing sound fiscal and business policies, procedures, internal controls and reporting systems for the institution in accordance with Federal, State, and Institutional regulations. The Director is also responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the following departments/operations; procurement, general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel, grants, treasury, budget, Mail Room, and Bookstore. The Director will ensure that Montana Western continues to fulfill its mission in service to its students and the community through responsible fiscal management by ensuring adherence to nationally recognized best practices, GASB, NACUBO, and related state policies and procedures.
Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Providing oversight for proper accounting and safeguarding of the University’s assets and recording the University’s liabilities.
- Recording and reporting all financial activity for the University funds in accordance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Providing fiscal information to outside agencies, organizations or individuals as requested or required by law.
- Facilitating and managing billing, fee collection and aid disbursement for student registration.
- Prepare the University’s annual financial statements, in cooperation with the University of Montana Business Office as required by GASB and NACUBO.
- Preparing a variety of annual operational and financial reports.
- Assisting a diverse population of students, faculty, and campus departments in obtaining fiscal information.
- Assist in ongoing development of policies and procedures for business operations.
- Serve as the EEO/AA Officer and Title IX Co-Coordinator.
- Responsible for all audit coordination at the campus level and ensuring Montana Western is in compliance with regulatory bodies.
- Oversee the operation and control of the Ellucian/BANNER finance module and that all authorizations and controls are appropriate and up to date.
- Provide technical and financial support to the staff and work closely with campus departments.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Manage department budget.
- Interact effectively with all campus departments and participates as part of the campus management team.
The minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible professional experience leading a complex financial services organization is required.
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and audit practices.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals at all levels.
- Professional written, verbal and listening communication skills.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret complex federal and state regulations and apply them appropriately and consistently.
- Demonstrated skill in effectively managing employees and financial resources.
- Problem-solving, conflict resolution and negotiation skills needed to resolve complex situations.
- Highly effective decision-making skills.
- Advanced analytical skills.
- Effective strategic planning and implementation skills.
- Ability to develop effective teams.
- Ability to develop financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and reporting systems.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize databases, word-processing, spreadsheets and enterprise financial systems.
- Ability to communicate throughout the organization with effective interaction across departmental boundaries.
CPA or CMA is preferred. Preferred qualifications also include experience in governmental fund accounting, in higher education, and with computerized accounting systems-Banner experience is preferred.
To apply, submit a letter of application, current vita, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references. To be fully considered, the letter of application must address all of the job qualifications. Send application materials to:
Patti Lake, Payroll and Benefits Supervisor
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
For questions relating to this position contact Michael Reid at 406-683-7031 or by email at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin November 11, 2019, but will remain open until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 65 full-time faculty and 1,300 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.