Department: Dining Services
Position: Full-time, 12 month position, flexible schedule
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Annual Compensation Package Valued at $42,000+ includes:
- Hourly wage ranging from $12.10-$15.26;
- Employer paid insurance package for medical, dental, life, long-term disability and vision hardware;
- Paid annual leave and paid sick leave;
- Employer matched retirement contributions;
- Tuition waivers for any of the Montana University System campuses.
Posting Date: August 2020
The Culinary Professional II reports to the head cook and is responsible for the following duties:
- Acts in a lead capacity by training and supervising student and temporary workers in assigned areas to ensure the accurate and proper preparation, production and presentation of hot and cold food items required for daily menus.
- Upholds the exceptional food quality, quantity and presentation standards for menu items, using methods including batch cooking and just-in-time preparation methods.
- At all time, maintains a positive work environment by providing direction, effective communication, opportunity for individual growth and leadership by example. This person is required to create a positive environment for employees and guests by building and maintaining a work atmosphere of trust and respect through establishing open communication among team members, recognizing the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization, taking steps to prevent destructive conflict, handling conflict in an appropriate manner and providing support and assistance to team members.
- Enforce all ServSafe food safety procedures relating to food handling, storage, time and production techniques.
- Perform effective food cost practices including the use of leftovers, daily specials, and accurate production techniques.
It is necessary for the candidate to have basic verbal, reading and writing skills. Able to work unsupervised, and complete work assignments within assigned timeframes. Physical requirements include lifting up to 40 pounds, pushing and pulling carts and equipment, long periods of standing and exposure to heat, cold and cleaning chemicals. The knowledge, skills and abilities described here are typically acquired through a combination of a high school diploma and two years of commercial food service. A Serve Safe certificate is required within six months of employment and can be acquired on the job.
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references along with a State of Montana application (https://w.umwestern.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/State-Application.pdf Send application materials to:
Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Cheri McCarthy via email @ email@example.com or by calling 406-683-7228. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the position is filled.
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 60 full-time faculty and 1,500 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.