Department: University Communications
Wage: $20.66-$21.50 per hour plus complete benefit package
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Posting Date: January 2019
The WD will serve as the IT expert for the Department of Communications and will plan and implement short and long-term web development and security strategies and will operate within the assigned budget and manage personnel as directed by the UMW Director of Communications. The WD will meet with clients during the consultation, pre-production, production and post-production phases of webpage creation and management. As a constantly evolving presence, the UMW site will need to have regular content and structural updates to continuously engage prospective and current students, parents, faculty, staff and the general public. Working as an integral member of the University Communications team, the WD is responsible for developing and maintaining the University’s web presence based on defined processes and strategic objectives. The position ensures that the website serves as Montana Western’s central communications tool in providing content that is user friendly and accurately reflects the university’s brand strategy.
- Experience in the prototyping (including User Experience and Interface design knowledge), security, installation, testing maintenance, updates, and content management of large-scale websites (university of school websites preferred)
- Experience and aptitude for the application of web design principles in the application of the design and implementation of holistic and individual website elements (menus, image galleries, directories, A-Z indexes, forms, etc.)
- Experience working with a PHP-based content management system such as WordPress (preferred) and Joomla
- Experience with user experience and information design
- Experience integrating social media APIs into a web presence
- Experience in CSS optimization/minification (i.e. gulp.js toolkit)
- Experience creating HTML e-mails
- Experience in generating reports based on website analytics and presenting concise, actionable plans for increasing efficiency and usability
- Experience with appropriate applications and software for use in web and graphics development (including Adobe Creative Cloud Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with social media and email marketing
- Strong communication, writing and editing skills
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, meets deadlines and stays on specific schedule
- Knowledge of all aspects of web accessibility and use of appropriate web analytic tools including Google Analytics
- Knowledge of Apache or other web servers and MySQL
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux script writing for maintenance and monitoring purposes
- Understanding of SSL and data security principles, as well as backup and recovery processes
- Experience in the artistic application of digital technologies
- Working knowledge of color theory, layout and design principles and typography
- Working knowledge of email marketing software
- General knowledge of computer programs, applications, and publication software
- Knowledge of graphic arts design principles and concepts, processes and procedures
- Ability to troubleshoot software issues
- Ability to creatively translate concepts into effective visual and interactive websites
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies who possess diverse technical backgrounds and skill levels
- Ability to manage complex projects, prioritize tasks and complete assignments in an accurate and timely manner
- Ability to operate Mac OS and Windows computer platforms and operating systems
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to staff and customers during consultations and project design phases, including clear communication of feasible in-hand project deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to research and adopt new technologies and software features related to web design, content management, and accessibility
- High levels of organizational and time management skills
- Ability to meet complicated production timelines, adjust quickly as situations demand, and assure project completion in an atmosphere of change and shifting priorities
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, web design, graphic design, media arts or digital media, or equivalent experience.
- The WD may be required to move office supplies as needed (no more than 50 pounds).
To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- Letter of Application stating reasons for interest in the position, addressing the qualifications listed above
- Your current CV
- Samples of your work including at least three examples of your designed and programmed websites (with active URLs) with accompanying flow diagrams. The flow diagrams should describe how the site is configured, its main functions, what content management systems are installed, and how/if the site is designed for multiple backend users. Additional samples of work may also be included that feature the applicant’s User Experience/User Interface and graphic designs.
- Completed State of Montana Government Job Application
- Name, address and telephone number of three references to:
Payroll & Benefits Supervisor
The University of Montana Western
710 South Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
For additional information, contact Matt Raffety by email at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University and Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 60 full-time faculty and 1,500 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for any position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.